No Big Deal!

Sure, somewhere in the neighborhood of 30% of prospective college students will be accepted via Early Action/Early Decision. Yes, had you applied Early Action, (a) most or all of your college applications would have been completed and submitted before Thanksgiving, (b) you would have increased your chances, though only slightly in most instances, of being accepted by the college of your choice, and (c) you'd have an admission decision in hand (or in your email inbox) sometime between December 15 and January 15.

So what?

30% of the freshman class already filled? That leaves 70% wide open. College applications submitted before Thanksgiving? Ha! I dream up my best essay topics while in a Tryptophan-induced sleep. Better chance of getting in to the college of my choice? Well, better to have taken the time to completely and accurately prepare that perfect application than to tempt fate by rushing it, submitting the half-baked and not quite ready for prime time. Having admissions decisions before Christmas (or at least by Martin Luther King, Jr. Day)? No matter. Patience is a virtue. Anyway, good things come to those who wait. [And as The College Whisperer often says right here on this blog, while the early bird may catch the worm, it is typically the second mouse that gets the cheese!]

No worries, then, if you haven't quite completed your college application, put the finishing touches on that personal statement and supplemental essay questions, or started to search, in earnest, for scholarships to pay for tuition, room, board and Fraternity/Sorority dues.

Why, considering colleges that are Common App members alone, there are 488 among them that have submission deadlines (including Regular Decision and Rolling Admissions) on or after November 15. [The bulk of Regular Decision deadlines fall between December 1 and January 1. Some extend well into the new year!] Then, too, there are financial aid deadlines, some mandated by the states, others set by the colleges themselves.

Haven't started yet? Okay. While it is certainly not too late, time -- and college application deadlines -- wait for no one.

Get going on those college apps, but don't just get them done for the sake of submitting. Have them completed, and submitted, properly, and then, actually get into the college of your choice!

Plan. Prepare. Prevail!

The views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of The College Whisperer.

Who knows what peril lurks in the college application and admissions process? The College Whisperer knows. . . 

* * *
Comments? Questions for The College Whisperer
Write us at

The College Whisperer™ is the Trademark of
COLLEGE CONNECTION, Official Sponsor of College Admission Success. The road to college begins at COLLEGE CONNECTION! Whether you are applying to college, planning for college, paying for college or simply thinking about college, COLLEGE CONNECTION can help! Call TODAY for a FREE telephone consultation. 516-345-8766

For up-to-the-minute news, apps, info and insights on college applications, admissions, scholarships and just about everything college, follow The College Whisperer™ on Twitter at